RE: Random questions-

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Random questions-
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:33:38 -0400
>-Top speed- if top speed is a measure of top RPM power, im a bit below spec-
>the car is supposed to go like 102 mph (w/OD), but I could only hit about 90
>ont eh mass pike (big highway) (all you boston guys and policemen on this
>list look the other way)(I dont actually want to drive this fast, I was just
>curious. (was it becaseu the top was down, which makes for more wind drag?)
>Or is something funny with my carb tune, etc?

The 102 top is a function of a new engine in perfect tune and the right tires
and maybe an accurate speedo and tach.  Don't worry... 90 MPH is fast enough.

>-Oil pressure- once the car gets really warm, my idling oil pressure is
>20lbs...is this too low?  Oil cooler?

30lbs would be better... but 20 is OK fully hot. You should be using a 20W50
oil for starters.  Try changing the oil.. especially if it now has 10W30 in
it.

>-Water Temp- the car stabilizes with teh temp gauge 0.25" to the left of the
>white band near the 100 mark- is this correct? (i heard proper temp is 85C,
>but ther is no mark for that on the gauge)

The water temp needle should ride right on the center white band at 75-85C
area.  Higher that that is a problem and will lead to lower idle oil pressure
for one thing.  Check thermostat, water level... may need radiator boiled and
rodded out.  This is a common TR and LBC issue on any 40 year old car.

>-Shift points- where do you all shift?  What is your top RPM for engine
>happiness?  Engine seems to make noise long before it reaches redline.

The TR engine is a torquey beast and loves to pull hard.  The torque curve
peaks around 3300 RPM . In stock trim 3000 is good for normal driving and 4000
for aggressive acceleration.  Any higher is a waste of time and noise.  The
racing TRs can rev to 6K but the engines have been worked to a extreme race
level and idle at 1800 RPM just keep from stalling.

>-Is the ammeter supposed to alway read a little bit positive, or is supposed
>to go to zero once hte battery is recharged?  (mine stays postive all the
>time, but the battery may just need a lot of charging)

This is normal

>-What is proper idle RPM?

800 is good if you can get it.  the tach on the dash is not a reliable
measure. Use a regular tune-up meter the reads off the ignition.  Any idle
that feels comfortable with your personal desires is OK.  The Zenith carbs
that you have may need a rebuild to get a perfect 800 RPM idle.

>-What tire pressures do you all run at?
>
>-is it bad for the motor to decelerate by downshifting (using hte motor as a
>bit of a brake)?  Some people told me it was, but i figured the "i do
>rebuilds" crowd would know this for sure.

Bullshit... the best part of a 4-speed gear box is the engine braking that can
be used to enhance the aggressive driving skills.  The exhaust sound under
engine braking is part of the magic. I use it fully and have always done so on
manual shift cars.  You need to learn the "blip the engine on down shift"
method to get the complete experience

>-What eninge oils are you all using?  10W30?  Favorite brands?

20W50 or maybe 15W40 on a brand new rebuild.  15W50 Mobil-1 synthetic is
another premium choice.

>-Antitheft mechanisms- what do you all use to keep someone from hotwiring
>and stealing your baby?  Im a bit paranoid...do people use electricity
>shutoffs, "the club," etc?  What options are there that dont require
>openning the hood each time I get in?

If you are concerned... I would wire in a single or double dead ignition
switch.

Have fun,

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA