Random questions-

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: Random questions-
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:37:17 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Freeman, Noah"
>As Charlie (my new TR4 (2nd night in possession)) and I were terrorizing
>suburban Boston last night, I came up with some questions.  These may all
be
>really dumb, but I thought Id ask anyway.
>
>-Top speed- if top speed is a measure of top RPM power, im a bit below
spec-
>the car is supposed to go like 102 mph (w/OD), but I could only hit about
90
>ont eh mass pike (big highway) (all you boston guys and policemen on this
>list look the other way)(I dont actually want to drive this fast, I was
just
>curious. (was it becaseu the top was down, which makes for more wind
drag?)
>Or is something funny with my carb tune, etc?

First, make sure the car is in perfect tune.  Next, remove the windshield
and put the passenger side tonneau up.

>-Oil pressure- once the car gets really warm, my idling oil pressure is
>20lbs...is this too low?  Oil cooler?

Thicker oil?  Try 20W-50 as the amnufacturer recommends.  What's more
important is what is the oil pressure at 1500 RPM?  2000 RPM?

>-Water Temp- the car stabilizes with teh temp gauge 0.25" to the left of
the
>white band near the 100 mark- is this correct? (i heard proper temp is
85C,
>but ther is no mark for that on the gauge)

How accurate is the gauge?  These things are for indication only and should
not be taken as gospel.  If you are not boiling over don't worry.  You can
put a candy thermometer in the radiator and check one against the other.
But then, how accurate is the candy thermometer?

>-Shift points- where do you all shift?  What is your top RPM for engine
>happiness?  Engine seems to make noise long before it reaches redline.

I shift my TR3 between 3,000 and 4,000 and it seems to be running out of
steam at that point.  It pulls best from 1500 to 2500.  How fast do you
want to go?

>-Is the ammeter supposed to alway read a little bit positive, or is
supposed
>to go to zero once hte battery is recharged?  (mine stays postive all the
>time, but the battery may just need a lot of charging)

My TR6 does that if it has been sitting a long time.  When I drove to Maine
two years ago it stayed a little positive for a whole day.  (the car sat
idle for 7 months prior to the trip).

>-What is proper idle RPM?

What does the book say?  800?

>-What tire pressures do you all run at?

What does the book say?  24 PSI?

>-is it bad for the motor to decelerate by downshifting (using hte motor as
>bit of a brake)?  Some people told me it was, but i figured the "i do
>rebuilds" crowd would know this for sure.

Not at all.  Most saftey folk recommend using compression braking on long
hills anyway.  In some ways it is better - the cooling system works better
at higher revs.

>-What eninge oils are you all using?  10W30?  Favorite brands?

Most folks use 20W-50.

>-Antitheft mechanisms- what do you all use to keep someone from hotwiring
>and stealing your baby?  Im a bit paranoid...do people use electricity
>shutoffs, "the club," etc?  What options are there that dont require
>openning the hood each time I get in?

Lucas, the ultimate theft deterent.  Just kidding.  Theft of these cars is
less of a concern as most folks in the business don't take these kinds of
cars.  And joy ridding kids don't know manual transmissions (much less
manual chokes).  But the easiest thing to do is get a toggle switch and
connect one side to the coil (where the wire goes to the distributor) and
the other side to ground.  When the switch is closed it will render the
points inoperative.

The best thing is a locked garage as anything else is usless against
someone with a tiltback truck.

>Thanks all for all your great help!

Your welcome and enjoy the car.

Dave Massey