Re: TR3 Mystery Steering bracket

Subject: Re: TR3 Mystery Steering bracket
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:40:27 -0700
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pat wrote:

> First a quick question... can I put on the mechanical fuel pump with the
> steering column in place ?

Yes, if your fingers are nimble enough.  Don't forget the clip for the
oil gauge line.

> Second question: I have a bracket that I know is to hold the steering column
> in place. It is about 7" long and of course clamps on to the steering column
> ( Split column) . It kind of "Dog Legs" it a bit and has two bolt holes at
> the end that is rectangular in shape. I think it goes on the inside of the
> cockpit but can not figure out just where or how.

Sounds to me like the bracket that goes in the engine compartment, right
next to the fuel pump (on LHD cars), and supports the lower end of the
upper half of the column.  The end with the bolt holes points down, is
secured to the firewall with two bolts, with heads just to the left of
the gas pedal and hidden by the carpet.

> I can send a digital picture if need be to your home address.

Send away, I'll have a look.

Randall