TR3A-Outer sill

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A-Outer sill
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:18:40 -0400
When you open the door of a TR3A, you can look down and see an aluminum trim
piece that covers the joint where the outer sill (skin) meets the lip of the
floor pan. If you remove the aluminum piece so you can see the edges of the
sheet metal, how many edges of said sheet metal should you see? Seems to me,
I should see two - the outer skin and the floor pan. Or is there a third
piece?

I'm stripping the paint off of my car and I've discovered three places where
the PO tack-welded a sheet metal patch OVER the rusted original (two front
wings and one section of tub just behind the door). Nice, huh?

Anyway, when I removed the aluminum trim, I see three edges. I'm betting
that one is the floor pan, another is the outer sill and the third is the
ORIGINAL outer sill sandwiched between the other two. PLEASE tell me there
are supposed to be three edges showing.

(On the other hand, I should probably remove it anyway to make sure the
inner sill is ok...Right?)

BTW, I asked about POR-15 vs OxySolv vs Corroless a few days ago and got
only one response (about POR only). No one knows about these products?

Thank you.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'...Dave Barry
"...and that line is, apparently, rusted." ...M. Ferguson