clutch diagnosis

To: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: clutch diagnosis
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:52:10 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jay Snavely"
>I got to look at my TR6 clutch hydraulics today.  I bled the cylinder and
some air did come out.  The one thing I noticed is that the rod can be
pushed back into the cylinder about 1/2 of its total travel.  The actual
travel of the rod when the clutch is depressed is only about 3/8".  Is this
correct?  If not, what would account for this?  I haven't test drove it yet
because there are other things that need to be done while its up on blocks.
Thanks.
<

Yes, Jay, this is normal.  The TR6 has what is refered to as a
self-sadjusting clutch. There is a small spring in the slave cylinder that
keeps the piston and pushrod and throwout bearing in constant contact with
the clutch cover with a minute amount of pressure.  When the clutch pedal
is in its rest position a port between the master cylinder and reservoir is
open allowing fluid to freely pass.  When you push the rod into the slave
cylinder you push fluid into the reservoir via the slave cylinder, clutch
line and master cylinder.  When you release the rod the spring will push it
back out and fluid will flow from the reservoir into the master cylinder,
clutch line and into the space made in the slave cylinder.

Cheers,

Dave