TR6 clutch problem

To: "Ross Fox" <rossjfox@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR6 clutch problem
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:52:13 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Ross Fox"
>Just finished rebuilding my TR6's brake and clutch hydraulics.  The
hydraulics seem ok  -- feel good when applying pressure.  However, the
clutch will not disengage to allow me to select any gear.  The Haynes
manual
implies that the clutch itself could be "Stuck" or the hydraulics aren't
working.  How can I tell for sure?

The slave cylinder moves when applying the clutch peddal.

The drop arm from the transmission can be moved by hand, however, it seems
can only jiggle it (it moves loosely) front to back about 1 cm.  At both
extremes it comes to a sudden and dead stop.  Is this the way it normally
should move?  I would expect it to feel more like a tight spring, right?
<

Ross, the clutch arm sounds about right.  Furthermore the clutch slave
cylinder has a little spring which should keep the lever against the stop
reached when extending the slave cylinder rod.  Additionally, which hole in
the lever are you using.  The book calls for the middle hole but I use the
one closest to the pivot.  Give that a try for investigational purposes.

If the clutch is indeed stuck there are techniques that vary in difficulty
and success rates.

Good luck.

Dave