Spitfire Help?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Help?
From: "Jim Cullen" <jcullen@cbi.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:02:55 -0400
Hello listers,

I have been away from the list for quite awhile now as I have moved from
British Columbia, Canada to Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  I tried to send this
message yesterday, but I think it was before I was officially a list member.
I didn't see it on the digest, so I am sending it again. My apologies if it
appears twice.

I am now trying to get my 74 Spitfire through a "safety" (necessary to
license my spit in Ontario). I am having some problems these include.

- The first safety I got (back in December) told me that I needed to
replace/rebuild the "kingpins". I got a trunnion bearing kit and rebuilt the
trunnion bearings. This improved the play in the tires quite a bit (I
replaced the upper ball joint and tire rod ends about 5,000 miles ago).   I
just took the car for another safety a day or two ago and was told that I
need to replace the lower balljoint on the passenger side. Now I learn more
and more about my Spit (as something breaks down), but as far as I can tell
there is no lower ball joint - right? Does this mean I need to replace the
bushing between the stub axle and the trunnion, or would the trunnion be
bad. I am assuming the stub axle does not have any kind of flexible
coupling/joint.

- My windshield washer pump (which hasn't worked for the past 6 years I have
owned the car, with very little concern on my part) is inoperable. Is there
any use in taking this thing apart to see if it can be rebuilt.

- Finally does anyone know of any parts suppliers in Detroit or Windsor. I
am familiar with the various places where I can order and wait for my parts,
but I would think that Detroit should have some good parts places. I breezed
through the Detroit yellow pages at the library but couldn't seem to find a
British parts suppliers.

I have a bit of a deadline as the temporary license permit that I have
expires on May 2. This means I must have the car ready to go by then so I
can drive it back to the mechanics. With the nice weather finally here I am
anxious to get my baby back on the road.

Many Thanks,

Jim Cullen
74 Spitfire