tr6 head gasket advice needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr6 head gasket advice needed
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:57:41 -0400
Hi Gang-

Looks like I didn't do a good job installing my new hi-comp head last
year. I am getting coolant weeping from the header side at the gasket.
Maybe a bit of oil on the other side, not sure.

Anyway, looks like I need to do a new head gasket it seems. I will have
it pressure tested to find out for sure.

Two things I need fresh advice on:

1. Where to get the best head gasket. The one I used was Moss standard
stock item. Maybe there is a higher quality product out there more
useful with hi-compression heads. As I recall, the Moss gasket had no
metallic side. Maybe Ken Gillanders or TSI will have a more rugged
gasket?

2. How to properly install.

Here's what I did first time:

- Sprayed lots of Copper Seal all over the gasket-(maybe too much?) Last
coat was dried only to tacky

- Torqued to 70 ft lbs ( following the bolt sequence in Haynes)

-fired up the engine and ran it for 20 minutes at 2,000 RPM ( breaking
in cam)

- shut it down, tore off the rocker assembly real quick and retorqued at
70 ft lbs  (burnt fingers).

-after around 1,500 miles +/- ran it to hot, shut it down, tore off the
rocker assembly real quick and retorqued at 70 ft lbs. ( more burnt
fingers) ( I later heard this should have been done cold?)

Seemed ok but I first noticed the weeping when I woke the car up last
week-about a couple of tablespoonsfull collected.. Since driving, I find
some coolant droplets and drip stains on the block running down from the
gasket. I see no foaming in the oil (oil is clean after 2000 miles or
so) or in the coolant. There seems to be more blow-by (steam?) coming
from the crankcase than I recall prior to installing new head, but that
might just be more blow-by from increasing compression from 7.5 to 9.5
without doing rings.

I tested the exposed bolts for torque on the header side and none were
below 70 ft lbs, so they are holding their torque.

Car otherwise seems to run fine ( fine? it goes like a son of a gun! I
highly recommend increased comp and a hot cam if you like fun!) and
holds its running temperature ( on hot days needs the new electic fan
though at crowded toll booths).

So, any fresh ideas?

TIA

Keith