SU's - again

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU's - again
From: John Macartney <jonmac@heritagemotorcentre.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:25:47 +0100
Friends,
It seems that Triumph owners aren't the only ones periodically mystified by
SU's. Mini owners are as well and the following is a little snippet I picked
up on the Mini list. All very helpful :)

Jonmac

>1)     Can I take needle out with the carb in situ?

Yes, but you must remove the dashpot, and ideally replace it in the same
place, my dashpot has an X on the front of it, so I always put it on with
the
X to the front.

>2)     Will it affect the mixture settings (assuming all I do is take off
>the dashpot and only remove the piston/needle assy.

Maybe... If the needle isn't currently properly located in the piston, then
you won't be able to improperly locate it in exactly the same way. If it is
fully attached, then there shouldn't be a problem. I don't think this
applies
to the sprung needles, but it has been quite a while since I had a needle
out
of any SU.

If you don't know what dashpot oil you have, then you may have trouble if
you
refill it with something else and the mix doesn't do what the last one did.

>3)     Where will all the dashpot oil go as I remove the dashpot assembly.

It will go all over your trowsers and boot. You will take the piston out,
look
at it, and then turn it over to look at the needle underneigth and the oil
will poor on something unfortunate.

>4)     Do you think I will be alright re-using the dashpot gasket??

There isn't one.

>Top up dashpot oil to 13mm above hollow piston tube

I top it up until it overflows, the excess goes all over the carb, and
inside
the carb and through the engine... I don't try to do it like this, but that
is
usually what happens.