High Idle on TR4A FIXED (check your PCV valve)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: High Idle on TR4A FIXED (check your PCV valve)
From: Alvamike@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:23:10 EDT
For about 2 years my idle has been too high.  I had checked all aspects of
the SU carbs with no improvement.  Another problem I had was that AFTER the
car got warm and had run for an hour of so it would miss whenever I gave it
throttle in 3rd or 4th gear.  I cured this by going to thicker carb oil.
This got 80% or the problem but I still had a miss at high speed, 70 mph,
when I went to full throttle, especially uphill.  This problem was fixed by
adding about 4 degrees of advance, 1 graduation on the distributor.  I had
checked the coil, points, etc with no success.

The car now runs very well and fast in all gears and is very responsive.  It
feels like the old  '63TR4 I had in 1967.  Now the problem with the high idle
was more pronounced given the advanced timing.  I had an idle of 1600 rpm and
couldn't get it down.  I started checking for leaks and to my surprise when I
pinched off the hose going from the "PCV" valve to the valve cover the idle
dropped to 900 rpm and smoothed right out.  I took the valve apart and the
diaphram and spring were OK, but the inner valve was rattling.  I ordered a
new valve and received and installed it today.  Idle immediately dropped to
900 rpm and is smooth.  The PCV valve was the culprit.  I just wanted to pass
this along.

My 4A engine was built with higher compression and a little "wilder" cam so
the standard idle and timing setting probably don't apply.  Bottom line it
starts and runs great.  The drive is much more fun !!!!

Mike in Morgantown, PA
1967 Triumph TR4A