Re: Brass plug

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>
Subject: Re: Brass plug
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:37:11 -0400
Ronnie,

I had the same problem when I overhauled my OD last winter.  I  filled it
with oil and went to bed.  The next morning there was a puddle under the OD
drain cap.  My first thought was that the GL5 ate a hole through the brass
cap.  Upon further inspection I found that the cap ran out of threads before
it seated on the gasket (washer).   The OD had been dismantled some time
earlier.   I then vaguely remembered that was more multiple gaskets under
the cap.  I added a second gasket and  could get it to seal by tightening it
very tight.  Three gaskets are probably required for a good seal.  My guess
is that the new gaskets are much thinner than the originals.

If you took much material off when you faced the cap, you might consider
four gaskets.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)