After action report on the steering wheel change...

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: After action report on the steering wheel change...
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:33:10 -0400
Sirs Hello Sirs!

Private Freeman reporting back to HQ having successfully completed his
mission of changing his steering wheel in 15 minutes (stock to Moto-Lita).

Action reports follows (in triplicate):
After listening to sage listers, I performed the following actions-
-I used a 1 1/16" socket on the steering wheel nut (note size- the 1 1/8
conventional wisdom was not correct for my car, YMMV)
-I first screwed the nut IN, not out.  This, I was told, would break the
crud lock on the wheel by sliding it forward a touch and loosening
everything up.
-I then screwed the nut out 99% of the way, leaving it on a few threads so I
wouldnt decapitate myself with the wheel when it gave under pulling
-I then pulled the wheel off with about 5lbs pressure
-Put the new wheel on, aligned it (sort of...straight ahead is in between
two splines on my setup).

Overall, wheel came off easier than I had been warned about.  Just wanted to
publicize a) the size of the nut (1 1/16) and b) the "screw it in first,
then unscrew it" trick.  (I didnt make it up, I was told it)

Private Freeman Signing off

Over and Out

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.