3a frame central box

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3a frame central box
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:20:24 -0400 (EDT)
I have found some rust =:O and will shortly be fabricating a new section of the
bottom plate for the central box of my 3a frame.
Also, the rear part of the box, where the exhaust exits, is quite rusted out.
My question is:
what is the purpose of the smaller hole beside the one for the exhaust? I don't
remember (there's that word again) anything coming out of there and it seems it
would be stronger, and certainly easier, to close it in when I do the repair.
Any reason not to do this?
Your collective input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
TS81417L