74 TR6 Ignition Timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 TR6 Ignition Timing
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:50:44 -0500
Hi All,

This is my 3rd week with my "new" TR6.  This weekend, I purchased a timing
light and tach.  The previous owner installed an electronic ignition and the
E.G.R. valve has been removed.

On the fly wheel, the "degree" scale is not readable.  However, there are
two indented lines with one slightly wider than the other. They are
separated by about half an inch.   I'm assuming those are the timing marks.

To check the timing, I let the engine warm up and idle between 800 to 850
RPMs.  Do I unplug the vacuum line from the distributor and, if so, do I
plug the end of the hose?

The timing should be set to 4 degrees ATDC.  Which one of the timing marks
above should I use?

Any help for this rookie that is eager to learn?

Thanks,

Bill 74 TR6