A Triumph-ent Weekend

To: stag@digest.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A Triumph-ent Weekend
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
Everybody has been giving reports on how they are enjoying driving their
Triumphs, and I just wanted to pass on how my wifes and my weekend went.

This weekend was the premier of an all-new British car show for Central
Arkansas, and was held in Hot Springs.  Originally, I had planned to have my
TR4A running and ready for this event, but a hectic work and home schedule
prevented that.  However, we did have my wife's Stag, and we wanted to see what
cars were being shown.  But Murphys Law being what it is, Friday before the
show the brake pads wore out.  After some frantic searching, we were able to
turn up a set and I was up until midnight installing them.

Saturday dawned cool, cloudy and threatening to rain.  We debated awhile on
whether we should go or pass, considering we didnt want to stand in the rain.
But we finally decided to take the chance, dropped the top and put some jackets
on.  The Stag ran flawlessly the entire trip from our home to Hot Springs
(about 75 miles) over winding, twisting roads, but we did have to stop and put
the top up about halfway because of the rain.  We arrived at noon, and decided
to stop for lunch before hitting the car show.  Stopping at the local Sonic, we
got compliments from the carhops and several other patrons as we had our lunch.
 Just as we finished, the rain stopped and the sun came out.  We quickly
dropped the top, and then cruised over to the car show.  We pulled in, and
quickly saw that there was an impressive gathering of British cars, even though
this was a first-time event.  Lots of Jags, Austin-Healeys, MGs, and Triumphs.
 Had several Minis three Lotuses (or is that Loti?), a Jensen-Healey and a 47
Land Rover.  But what really tickled my wife was that we had the only Stag
there, and the immediate attention we got as we pulled into the parking lot.  I
couldnt even get out of the car before people started asking questions and
making comments about how great her Stag looked.  We walked away after a little
while and took a stroll through the displayed cars, enjoying ourselves.  We had
to leave after about an hour, to return home to help our oldest son get ready
for his senior prom.  As he put on his tux, he asked if we would drive his date
and him to the prom. So while he finished, we took the car up to the car wash
and quickly cleaned the Stag so it would look its best.  His date arrived and
the two of them sat on the tonneau parade-style.  At the high school, there
were doing premiere-style entrances, and my wife got in line with all the
limousines.  When it came their time to arrive, my wife pulled up and revved
the motor just a little. The next thing she knew, she was surrounded by
teenagers looking her car over, asking questions and telling her how hot her
car was.

All in all, it was a very good day I believe.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned
'73 Stag