RE: Fuse for TR6

To: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>, tri <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuse for TR6
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:28:13 -0700
Chuck :

Fusible links are not measured in amps, but in wire gauge.

I would not recommend trying to protect the wire from the battery to the
starter with a fusible link.  A small enough link to prevent a fire would
result in too much voltage drop to the starter.

A fusible link to protect the rest of the wiring seems like a good idea,
especially if your car has an ammeter, but may require some other changes to
implement on a TR6.  In that case, you basically size for the alternator
capacity, since that should be the largest current flow.  IMO A fusible link
does not so much protect the wiring, as reduce the chance of fire if there
is a short.

Don't have any charts handy, but I believe a 16ga link should be plenty for
the stock alternator and electrical load.

Randall