Re: Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:11:54 -0600
John Macartney wrote:

> These were cars shipped out for local manufacture in
> Belgium, Israel, Malta, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand - and
> one or two other places I've forgotten. This is the only way to look
> at the company's TOTAL output figure
> For the record, I'm currently  in the very early stages of evaluating
> that very picture in examining SMMT shipment data to all markets from
> 1945 to 1980 - by model !!!! For the record, this info was supplied by
> the manufacturers themselves, so it ought to be accurate.

Point taken, but all I have is the distribution data for sports cars. I
do realize there were other models which did not appear here, but have
no notion of the production rates of those. The data you're compiling
would have that information.

> As you can imagine, this is a marathon task. I've no idea how long it
> will take to complete but AFAIK no-one else has ever attempted it
> which seems a pretty good reason for it to be done by someone who (is
> dumb enough / terminally
> insane / too bored with life) to do it :)
> At least, I know where to go for the data - but keying it in is
> probably not too far removed from watching paint dry.

"Keying in"...?

John, it's time to introduce you to OCR.... <smile>

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.