Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:51:30 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Micael Porter wrote:
John and I both thought this a good idea to promote better relations
and understanding amongst Triumph enthusiasts around the world, and
where
better places to begin than with the U.S. and the U.K.? The U.S. was
the single largest consumer of Triumph cars, and the U.K., of course,
the
major producer. Perhaps John will address a curious point in that
equation--that Standard-Triumph club members in the U.K. number far in
excess of those in the U.S.

UK Triumph membership is about 36000 people, some 10% of all car clubs
membership in this country

>despite the fact that almost 90% of the cars were delivered to the
U.S.

Ooooooooooh, ooooooooooooh, ooooooooh!  It depends
where and how you measure the percentage, Michael.
If you restrictresearch
purely to sports cars, I wouldn't argue North America was the leading
market, though I'm inclined to question your percentage.
However - and as I think most of us appreciate, Standard Triumph's
output
was not restricted mainly to sports cars. This seems to be a point
that many NA enthusiasts tend to overlook because myth and folklore
gives many the mistaken impression that as North America took sports
cars *almost* in isolation, the rest of the model range not sold in
North America was low volume build.
Not true - sorry.
The only way to make an objective comparison of the company's total
output along the lines you suggest, is to express output to North
America as a percentage of total build for all markets for all
models - including CKD and SKD shipments.
These were cars shipped out for local manufacture in
Belgium, Israel, Malta, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand - and
one or two other places I've forgotten. This is the only way to look
at the company's TOTAL output figure
For the record, I'm currently  in the very early stages of evaluating
that very picture in examining SMMT shipment data to all markets from
1945 to 1980 - by model !!!! For the record, this info was supplied by
the manufacturers themselves, so it ought to be accurate.
As you can imagine, this is a marathon task. I've no idea how long it
will take to complete but AFAIK no-one else has ever attempted it
which seems a pretty good reason for it to be done by someone who (is
dumb enough / terminally
insane / too bored with life) to do it :)
At least, I know where to go for the data - but keying it in is
probably not too far removed from watching paint dry.

Jonmac