Re: BMH Certificates

To: "Tom Beaver" <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Subject: Re: BMH Certificates
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:06:37 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom Beaver wrote:
I managed to finally order certificates for some of my odd ball
Triumphs.
Both my Sports 6' came back with the current body #'s, engine #'s and
exterior
and interior colors. Both originally had white tops. But,according to
my
certificates, they both had wire wheels. Someone went to a lot of
trouble to
switch back to steel wheels if this is true.

Sports 6 - so you'll mean Vitesse? Tom, the records interrogated were
those relating to the car as it came off the line. How it finally left
the factory could be a different ball game. Sounds like it went
through a department called Sales Conversion where lots of things were
swopped and switched - tops and wheels being two favourites. Just
prior to the 1600 Vitesse being withdrawn from US sale because of low
demand, there was a lot of unsold surplus stock still in the UK and it
was returned to the factory for rework. Wire wheels were not offered
on the Vitesse (except for certain markets) but the build code for
them still stayed on the computer line setting program - though not
used after the option was deleted from sales specification. Key point
here is that even though a car went thru Sales Conversion, no
modification was made to the production tally card as the conversion
cost would have been billed separately to the supplying dealer or
importer. Also car had passed off build and final inspection anyway
before the work was carried out.

>I also ordered one for my 10 Estate. They say that they have no
records on the car but no other clues like the records are not
>available. I guess I will be writing back re the wire wheels. Any
suggestions on the 10? Wonder if they have it under Standard.

They'll have it - and as you say it'll probably be under Standard. I'd
lay a pound to a pork chop that somewhere on the microfilmed tally it
describes the car as a Standard Ten Companion with build code "1004
Badging for North America as Triumph." Even though the car was known
as a Triumph Ten in the States - the factory knew it and coded it only
as a Standard Ten - regardless of market destination because that's
what it was and that's how it'll still be listed. My recommendation is
leave things as they are for a further month until the guy who
normally does the Certs is back at work after medical leave. Most
importantly, photocopy the letter they sent you and ask them to look
again. May take a wee while to get the response but if you do receive
the same reply after that time, then the record really doesn't exist
for some reason it may be difficult to fathom out all these years
later. Frankly, I'd find that surprising. Just don't send this post
with your request - please! This is territory outside my bailliewick
where delicate appendages might suffer from contact with a steel
toe-capped boot.

Jonmac

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook