RE: TR6s vs. whatever

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6s vs. whatever
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:10:13 -0500
Trevor Boicey wrote:

>Any car + 30 years == turning heads and thumbs up.
>A Honda Prelude might not turn your head today,
>but it is today what a TR6 was when it was new.

Trevor! Where have all the flowers gone? A Prelude is not a sports car now,
and the passage of years will not make it one. It may be an interesting old
car for the one guy who restores one, but it won't be a sports car. I'd be
surprised to hear that aging Preludes are being stored away in barns for
future restoration . . .

>Put a 1975 TR6 beside something like a 1975
>Celica. There is NOTHING state of the art about
>the TR6. Be realistic here, most manufacturers
>had ditched body-on-frame car building almost
>two decades earlier. Pushrods and in-block cams
>were disappearing into history as well.

So that would put the death-knell of body-on-frame construction at about
1955? Not the way I remember it. And many of today's faster domestic pony
cars STILL have pushrods and in-block cams.

Actually, I enjoy telling people that no, my TR6 is NOT a new car - it's 30
years old!

Jim Hill