Subject: Re: TR6es passing Neons

To: tri <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Re: TR6es passing Neons
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:39:04 -0700
Now my two cents worth:

There is a legal way to drive as fast as you want.  That is why I have
now sunk about 9K into my occasionally driven TR 6.  IT is called a race
track.

I belong to the local BMW club and the local Alpha club [and the local
Triumph club].  The BMW and Alpha clubs run driver training classes
which then allow you to participate in their track days.  Here in the
Puget Sound area the two clubs run about 10 sessions at Seattle
International and Bremerton race tracks [if you throw in Portland and
Spokane, there are many more].

Last year I took the total stock '74 6 to the BMW driving class [total
hoot everybody ought to learn to drive!], complete with its original
redlines.  We were slow to stop, not the quickest around the cones, but
sure had the most fun [the old TR really SLID around the corners, the
Bimmers with traction control and ABS were much more contained].

Went on to a one day SIR track training session -- really a blast [I was
the only one to spin, and that is because the way my pedals are  [were]
laid out, I could not heel and toe and ended up almost popping the
clutch when down shifting from 4 to 3 at 70 mpg doing a drift in turn
2.  I was really bugged by less aggressive drivers in turbo M roadsters
could pass me on the straight, then went through the corners like Sunday
drivers [Lord save us from coming near any edge].  So, since that day
[actually went to a couple of Alpha days first], my car has been under
"reconstruction".  Now got probably 150-170 horse, bigger tires, good
brakes, anti sway bars, etc.  Hope to have it back on the road after the
bottom end rebuild/balancing/boring/new pistons, etc. by this weekend.
Two weeks to break it in, then off to the track to see if we can keep up
a little better this year.  We do expect to give most the Alphas a
little challenge!

Chuck