New tire (tyre) choices

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: New tire (tyre) choices
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:53:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Since I've just finished changing the flattened tire on the rear of the GT6
from some careless worker that had drywall screws flying all over the place
I have decided that it is time I replace the tires on this car.  The ones
on there now (165 Pirelli P4) are very old (10 years) and cracked.  Too bad
since the tread is almost new!  These will also have tubes since I have
Dunlop wire wheels and they aren't made for tubeless tires.
However, I have never liked the feel of these tires on the road.  They are
very mushy, and tend to wander, especially when cornering.  I am going to
replace them with either 165/70's preferred or 165/65's second option if I
cant find the 70 series.  I can get Dunlops in the 70 series for about $40,
but I had a set way back in the late 70's that wore out very VERY quickly
(obviously not a problem on this car :-}) and kinda soured me on this
brand.  Michelins run about $66 for the same size -
Anybody used Dunlops lately and what sis you think?