Re: Disk Brake Problem non-Triumph

To: David Smith <smithde4@home.com>
Subject: Re: Disk Brake Problem non-Triumph
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:04:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave :

I've used two methods, both always work but both have certain drawbacks.

1) Make an adapter so you can pressurize the caliper with a grease gun.
Some creativity is called for, it may be as simple as removing the zerk
coupler and screwing the end of the gun directly into the caliper
fitting.  I think last time I used a 1/8" brass pipe coupler, and tapped
one side to accept an old brake hose that had the right fitting for the
caliper on the other end.

Of course, you _must_ thoroughly clean all traces of grease out of the
caliper afterwards!  It definitely makes a mess.

2) Fill (mostly) the inside of the caliper with a volatile (preferably
non-flammable) solvent (like some brake cleaners), then block the port
(on a TR3 you can just screw in a 5/16" NF bolt), and apply heat.  The
results tend to be a bit exciting ... it's best to have a piece of wood
for the piston to hit when it flys out, and safety glasses ... and a
fire extinguisher handy 'just in case' <g>
YMMV

Of course, in both cases you have to hold the other piston(s) in place
somehow.  I use two fairly stout steel bars and a pair of C-clamps.

Randall