Disk Brake Problem non-Triumph

To: smithde4@home.com
Subject: Disk Brake Problem non-Triumph
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:18:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Dave,
I have had this problem myself several times, and have solved it a couple of
different ways:
1. If there is room, or if you elect to split the caliper, you can drill
through the centre of the piston, obviously being careful not to go into the
caliper body, and then tap that hole. Turn in a bolt, and voila!
2. Hold the other piston in place with a C-clamp, and pump grease into the
caliper with a grease gun to force out the stuck one. To do this get a short
chunk of brake line where one end fits into your caliper, and on the other end
put a female-female coupler and a grease nipple. Caveats: a) Grease nipple is
usually 27 tpi, coupler is probably 28, but, you can force it. However be aware
that the grease gun exerts tremendous pressure and so may force that joint
apart if you don't do it right. b) If your piston's really stuck you may bend
your C-clamp. (I own a bent C-clamp.) But then, depending on your caliper, you
may be able to hold it together in a vise.

Personally I am leery of pressurized air as the piston comes out like a bullet.
With the grease you get an oozing mess to clean up but it's safe.
Hope one of these works,
Regards,
Jim Wallace
From: "David Smith" <smithde4@home.com>

The right front caliper on my 77 911 was frozen so that the wheel couldn't be
turned by hand and the car couldn't be pushed by the awesome strength of my
spouse and me. I removed the caliper (brutal details omitted) and used air
pressure to pop out one of the pistons. The other piston won't budge. I used a
clamp to force it deeper into the caliper hoping to break it free and it moved
about an eighth inch. Air pressure still does not budge it. Anybody know of
another way to free it?

Dave Smith