RE: TR250 camshaft collapse

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR250 camshaft collapse
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:34:39 -0600
I've been there, done that.  Everything you explained happened to my TR6.
If you don't take the extra few weeks to pull the engine, hot tank, inspect,
bore if needed, ..., you could still have problems because I guarantee that
there are still metal fragments moving through your engine.  I will also bet
that your crank journals are really needing a regrind.

I know what you're thinking now - again, I've been there.  But trust me, you
will be grateful to yourself after doing the work correctly.

Eric
'76 TR6

Hi Folks,

My beloved TR250 ate its camshaft. :-( I noticed that
she was running on 5 cylinders so I checked a few things
and found that there is practically no lift on valve 8. I
removed the head and pulled the lifters and found that
along with no lobe on the cam for valve 8, the lifter is
badly worn away, and all 11 other lifters show significant
wear. I dropped the sump, removed the oil pump and
found that it too is badly scored. I removed 2 conrod
end cap bearings and found metal fragments burried into
the bearing surfaces and no damage to the crank. I still
have 4 other conrods to inspect plus the crank bearings.
I'm going to replace the conrod bearings, the crank bearings,
the oil pump, the camshaft, and the lifters. I'm going to
attempt to do this with the engine in the car. I've been told
that one can actually replace the crank main bearings w/o
removing the engine. If I remove one main bearing
end cap at a time, insert a cotter pin perpendicular into the
oil hole, leaving the looped end of the cotter pin protruding
from the crank journal sufficiently to engage the bearing
shell, I may be able to rotate the crank forcing the shell
from its seat. I can then insert the new bearing shell using
the same technique. Any advice or wisdom is greatly
appreciated.