TR250 camshaft collapse

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 camshaft collapse
From: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:28:51 -0700
Thanks Listers,

This is exactly the reality call that I need. I will remove the motor
and have it flushed. I can't bear the idea of going thru this again
because I was too lazy to do it right. Besides, I'm basically there.
I have the head and the sump pan removed. I think I can remove
the motor without removing the tranny too. Is this correct? Chances
are close to 100% that there's still metal floating around. I would
also like to inspect the rod small-end bearings, the crank thrust
washers, the camshaft bearings, and the crank seals. In short, it
looks like I'm in for another engine rebuild after only 2000 miles.

I think the original crank failed due to troubles I had when I
initially started the rebuilt motor. I had the plugs removed and I
cranked the motor hoping to get some oil pressure. After quite
a bit of cranking I wasn't. Then I learned that the oil pump needs
to be primed (it was packed with vaseline, but the motor sat for
2 years after the rebuild and the vaseline probably melted away).
I then removed the distributor and poured a quart of oil over the
oil pump. Upon cranking again, I got oil pressure, but I think damage
had already been done to the cam and followers. [:-(]

thanks
Dave