Re: Doughnuts anyone

To: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Doughnuts anyone
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:46:15 -0700
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, dean_rayner@mac.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Carter Shore wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> In my ignorance, I changed the rotoflex donuts on my
> GT6+ without any bearing or hub diasassembly. I did
> have to disconnect the upright from the spring, shock,
> and lower A arm, etc.
>
> Did it in the dirt in my front yard. (dirt, nature's
> own lock-tight)
>
> I will offer one bit of advice however:
>
> Do *NOT* cut the retainer band on the RotoFlex until
> *AFTER* you have started the six bolts into the axle
> crosses.
>
> The joints are preloaded, and it is very difficult to
> get the bolts started without cross threading them. I
> wound up using two very long hose clamps hooked
> together around the RF to compress the six bolt
> sections, to get the bolts started.

Another method to align the donuts with the aid of the strap is to use the
longer of the 2 differently sized bolts to get the holes lined up.  Then
after you have all them in, you can replace these with the properly sized
bolts.

I have learned this because sometimes it is necessary to remove the components
without replacing the donuts and you don't have the assistance of the
straps at this point.

Joe