Thermostatic vacuum switch

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thermostatic vacuum switch
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:47:47 -0400
I have determined the thermostatic vacuum switch on my 74 TR6 does not seem
to be working.  The car is pretty much all stock. The vac retard on the
distributor was not working, with the engine warm.  I bypassed the therm
switch, and the retard unit worked.  The questions are about the therm. vac.
switch.  Is there any way to repair the switch?  Are new ones available?
Neither TRF nor Moss have them listed.  Is it worth getting a used one, or
is it OK to just bypass the switch?  I know many people have eliminated this
whole arrangement, and maybe this is part of the reason.  Does/should  this
switch make a clicking sound a couple seconds after the engine is shut off?

The other question is about the little fuel traps.  I see TRF lists them for
$20 and Moss about $40.  I checked, and air can flow thru them in either
direction.  Is this correct, or is there another way to test their
operation?  I also need to check all the little rubber elbows connecting the
hoses.  One of them does not seem to fit properly.

Thanks for the help.

Jay
74TR6