Re: Thermostatic vacuum switch

Subject: Re: Thermostatic vacuum switch
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:39:48 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jay :

All the TVS does is disable the vacuum retard when the engine is about
to overheat while sitting at idle, which raises the idle speed and
hopefully prevents the overheating.  IMO you could just permanently
bypass the TVS and not worry about it, except to not let it idle for
long periods in hot weather.

Eliminating the retard is another good option, but you may have to tweak
the carbs a bit to get the idle speed back down, and remember to use the
'static' timing spec when you set the dynamic timing.  You also
eliminate any chance of passing a smog inspection (although the
disconnected TVS would probably do that anyway).

I don't believe the TVS should be making a clicking noise, more likely
you're hearing the anti-runon valve (which is supposed to click a few
seconds after the engine is shut off).

Randall