Backfire??

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Backfire??
From: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:34:35 -0400
Everyone,
        A new question related to the manual choke ZS CD150 carb I installed
today
on my 80 Spitfire.  It was running fine and idling fine in the driveway but
when I took it out on the street it backfired.  It wouldn't go above 2000
rpm without backfiring and almost dying and at times it did cut out.  I
limped it back home and gave up for the evening.  The mixture seemed fine,
in fact it was running (idling) better than when I had an auto choke ZS
CD150.  I ruled out ignition since everything ran correctly prior to the
installation.  Timing is set at 2 deg atdc per specs for an 80.
        Anyone have an idea of what I should check.

Slante,
Sean Twigg
'80 Spitfire