RE: Backfire??

To: <Trspitty1500@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Backfire??
From: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:31:05 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Joe,
        I think that the problem was a faulty jet in the carb.  My theory is
that
the jet let enough gas by to idle and would work under load for a few
minutes going above 2000 rpm but would then stay wide open or stick closed.
Depending on which it was it would cause an overload of gas or a lack
thereof that would cause the misfire and my loss of power. (I'm no expert)
The choke worked fine.  I've got a Weber on the car currently and it is
running ok.  I'm not going to try the stromberg again until I do a total
rebuild of the carb and take the car to a place where I don't have to worry
about traffic to do the swap and try it out.

        It is easy to run the cable through the grommet in the firewall near the
Brake MC.  The hole in the dash is to the right of the steering wheel, below
the tach.  I'll let you know the final result in a few weeks.

Slante,
Sean
'80 Spitfire