Re: Computer wheel alignment (was TR7BFH Inner Ball Joint installation)

Subject: Re: Computer wheel alignment (was TR7BFH Inner Ball Joint installation)
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:51:13 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Kevin :

My point is, if there's no adjustment for it, I don't need to measure it
to do a front end alignment.  But I'll agree it can't hurt to measure
it, and it might point out a problem (in the form of a bent vertical
link).

SAI has relatively little effect on tire wear.  Like caster, it's mostly
to make the steering 'self-center'.  On most cars, the SAI changes when
you adjust camber, but camber is the important measurement/adjustment.
(Camber can be easily measured to a high level of accuracy using just a
flat level floor, a carpenter's square, a pair of 6" steel rules, two
C-clamps, and a calculator or table of sines.  Hey, if you use the
calculator, does that mean it's computerized ?)

Toe-out on turns (aka Ackerman steering) also has relatively little
effect on tire wear, as witness the fact that many vehicles have it
pretty badly wrong.  (Ever notice that many vans get tire squeal at any
speed when turning corners in parking garages with relatively slick
floors ?  That's because their Ackerman angles are wrong.)  Also,
current performance thinking is that the Ackerman formula should _not_
be followed, because the front tires develop different slip angles at
the limit in a turn. (Look up "anti-Ackerman steering").

Suspension travel changes all these angles.  I'm curious, do you load
the suspension (ie have two people sit in the car) when you measure them
?

Randall