TR3 Starter Solenoid

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Starter Solenoid
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 16:38:59 -0400
Here I am, doing lots of cleanup under the hood (It's the bloody bonnet to
you Anglophiles).  Among lots of other things, I took off the starter
solenoid, which looked pretty cruddy, and cleaned it up.  I actually masked
it and sprayed it with aluminum paint, and then a coat of clearcoat spray.
Now it looks great!  (Sorry Fred, for not P/C-ing it.)

After reinstalling it, I pressed the starter button.  Nothing happened.  I
pressed the starter button on the solenoid, and the engine sprang to life.
Tried the starter button on the dash again.  Nothing.

Then I looked at the wiring.  Plenty of +12V wiring, and even the wire from
the starter button puts +12V on the winding.  Whoops -- where's the ground??
There's no ground wire.  It's through the body to chassis via the mounting
screws.  And what's on the chassis and the body?  New Paint!  Duh...  Well,
some sandpaper solved the problem and away we go.

Now I have to figure out why the wiper motor no longer works, and I'm ready
for summer.  Hmmm...  The wiring doesn't agree with my Bentleys.  Oh well,
that's a job for tomorrow.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B TSF263L