Re: One dumb question from my wife...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One dumb question from my wife...
From: AKATR5@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:40:22 EDT
In a message dated 05/26/2001 2:42:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-triumphs@autox.team.net writes:

<< Is there a connection between Carol Shelby and
 British cars? >>

Bob,

A few years back I was lucky enough to attend a meeting of the Riverside
Foreign Car Club where Carroll Shelby was there as a guest speaker.  I have
to say it was a very enchanting evening and Mr. Shelby told many stories and
then allowed people to ask him questions and somehow the subject of british
cars came up.   Turns out he was good friends with Donald Healey and that the
two of them had often talked about building a car together (now that would
have been interesting!!!).  I also managed to get Mr. Shelby to autograph,for
me, a copy of the original advertisement for the TR250 that says "This is the
car that beat the Shelby GT-350, that beat the Lotus, that beat the Mustang,
that beat the other GT-350, that beat the Corvette, that beat the Porsche 911
that raced at Savannah, Georgia."  My friends all said that he would never
sign it but after I explained to him that I had a TR250 he joked a little and
made a couple of comments about Group 44 and Bob Tullius....anyway, I ended
up with a very cool momento of the evening.

Also, just as a point of history, it was Carroll Shelby who approached AC
Cars of England with the idea of dropping a Ford V-8 into their AC Ace two
seater.

TRsRock,
Jan Dawson
1968 TR250 for better or worse for over 16 years now....I recently had a
friend point out to me that Triumphs are more faithful than some people and
all I can say is how true...........
Corona, CA