low generator output

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: low generator output
From: "Richard White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:02:30 -0500 FILETIME=[16977CE0:01C0E651]
List,

I finally have an experience that I can offer to the list.
My generator was putting out a maximum of about 5-6 volts.

The few knowledgeable people I checked with had not encountered this
problem before.  The resistance of both the field windings at 6.5
ohms and the armature at 1.6 ohms seemed about right.

The problem turned out to be dirty contacts in the regulator.  I
had to open the contacts to clean them and then readjust them to a
gap of .015".  This changed the problem from low output to high
output.  It seems that the shunt winding which controlled the field
winding voltage was defective thus the resistance was never placed
in the field winding circuit.  When I removed the resistance of the
contacts, too much current was feed back into the field winding.

Moral of the story:
Low generator voltage can be caused by dirty contacts in the
regulator.

High generator voltage can be caused by broken windings in the
voltage generator.

I just read this and see that I stated that if the voltage regulator
is broken the voltage will not be regulated! duh!  I'll send it anyway
as it might help someone.

Rich White  St. Joseph, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF587L (with a new regulator on order)
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!