Oil Gusher From Dip Stick Tube

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Gusher From Dip Stick Tube
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:56:32 -0500
Hi Gang,

I spent most of Saturday fixing my negative camber problem and thanks to
Brian's chart, that's one problem resolved.

I noticed that the previous owner (PO) had a strange routing of the emission
breathing/venting hoses.  I have a 74 TR-6, less the E.G.R. valve.

My canister has three hose connector nipples on top and the PO had none of
the hoses connected to it.  The hose from the valve cover had no "tee"
connectors and was lying next to the canister as a straight run, not
connected.  The venting hose from the fuel tank was lying next to the
canister not connected.  The hoses from the bottom of the carb were tee'd
together and lying next to the canister not connected and he had a single
hose connecting the top of the carbs together, (no tees).  The funny thing
is, the car starts and runs fine.

So, I grab my TRF catalog and route the hoses correctly and attach them to
the canister.  The car starts and runs fine and I take it for a test drive.
I get back home and there is a major trail of oil following the car and
forming a toxic waste dump puddle when I park.  I thought I had a blown
engine, but the oil pressure was fine.  I open the bonnet, with the car
running, and there is oil flowing through the dip stick tube.  I twist the
stick and firmly engage it and it's still blowing by.

I'm assuming that the engine can not vent properly, so it's blowing through
the dip stick tube, yet the emission canister does not seem restricted as I
can blow through each of the three connectors on top.  I did note, however,
that there is an insert in the large center canister connector that looks
like some sort of restrictor.  I'm not sure that it is suppose to be in
there.

Can these canisters be tested, or taken apart and cleaned?  Can it be
something with the anti run-on valve?

Any suggestions for what may be causing this?

Thanks

Bill