Oil Gusher From Dip Stick Tube

To: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Subject: Oil Gusher From Dip Stick Tube
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:12:47 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)"
<snip>So, I grab my TRF catalog and route the hoses correctly and attach
them to
the canister.  The car starts and runs fine and I take it for a test drive.
I get back home and there is a major trail of oil following the car and
forming a toxic waste dump puddle when I park.  I thought I had a blown
engine, but the oil pressure was fine.  I open the bonnet, with the car
running, and there is oil flowing through the dip stick tube.  I twist the
stick and firmly engage it and it's still blowing by.
<Snip>

Bill,

It sounds like the crankcase purge is stil lnot hooked up properly.  The
hose from the valve cover should be tee's into the two large hoses that are
connected to ports on the right side of the carbs and the charcoal
canister.  These carb ports provide the suction that makes the purge work.
The smaller hoses connected to the left side of the carbs (very near the
air filters) are the fule float bowl vents and  are part of the anti-run-on
system.  If you leave these off the car will still run but the anti-run-on
system will not function.  And of course, the tank vent hose is the third
one connected to the canister.

Make sure the first set of hoses are connected as described, I think your
problem is there.

Good luck

Dave Massey (just back from the Champagne British Car and rain Festival)