TR6 fuel starvation

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 fuel starvation
From: Paul Mitchell <paul-m@mweb.co.za>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:59:38 +0200
List,

I have recently been having an intermittent problem with fuel starvation
on my 1974 TR6 PI. Sometimes, the supply of fuel seems to stop for a few
seconds. After checking all sorts of things, I have formed a theory -
please let me know what you think.

In the fuel tank, there is a wall about 2" high around the feed to the
filter / fuel pump. When the petrol in the tank is low, on a sweeping
left hand bend, the engine will use up all the fuel inside the 'wall',
until the pump is sucking air. It will keep sucking air until fuel has a
chance to refill the wall. Solution: keep the tank topped up. This might
also happen on a straight, where the revs are high, and the rate that
fuel is being drawn exceeds that at which it can leak back in around the
bottom of the wall, giving fuel starvation problems.

Does this make sense, or ring any bells?

Paul