In defence of parts purveyors

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: In defence of parts purveyors
From: "Michael Andrews" <mandrews53@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:33:58 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
----------
>From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
>Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: In defence of parts purveyors - long
>Date: Mon, May 28, 2001, 3:24 PM
>

> Well said, John !  We are indeed fortunate that people like the Rimmer
> brothers are making parts for our cars so available.
>
> I've never dealt with Rimmers, as their long awaited TR3 catalogue is
> still just that, but I've bought a lot of car parts over the years, both
> LBC and otherwise.  SNAFU doesn't just apply to the military ...
>
> And surely part of the problem is both the global nature and the range
> of parts they sell.  When the local shop sells me the wrong fan belt,
> it's no big deal.  When Rimmers ships someone the wrong engine block,
> it's bound to be a little more memorable !  Plus of course, folks in
> North America tend to buy from more local suppliers when they can, they
> usually only resort to Rimmers when looking for that "asymmetric doofer
> bracket" that is NLS (or never heard of) on this side of the pond.
>
> Plus, there's the language barrier too.  I once had an ex-pat friend of
> mine contact a UK firm about some fiberglass fenders.  They referred him
> to a marine supply !
>
> Randall

People seem to have forgotten the days of:
* no visa/ barclay cards to save us from currency conversions.
*Stopping at any likely Bap/Geon shop and buying anything that looked like
   it might fit.
*Finding the old English poop that ran a small car parts shop that had the
   cross reference list( It was in Santa Monica --bless him)
*Hoping that wisdom would rub off on the stoner who was about to inherit the
    shop.
*Finding out that your favorite car parts store got sold to a consortium
   that only deals in easy to find parts and changed there catalogs to suit.
*Finding out they threw all those old parts in the dumpster last week.
*Trying to weld up some part till it was close enough ( and then it would
    break inside the engine).
*Finding the guy who had a part kinda like it but he can't look for it right
    now because he's too busy packing the other parts for Europe ( you know
    they'll buy anything)
*Buying parts from JC whitney because they were real cheap-then passing on a
     local part deal because you hadn't gotten the no-longer-in-stock letter
     from them.
And that was not that long ago ( like 10 years) These are the good ole
Days,which is not to say that the current dealers haven't caused me some
entertainment.
Mike in LA w/TR2