re: Vendor Report - Prestige (long)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Vendor Report - Prestige (long)
From: HAMILTON DOUG <douglasehamilton@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:41:11 -0600
I don't know what you face in the US but in Canada UPS charges an
outrageous fee for processing the customs paper work even if there is no
duty on the package they will charge from 10 to 30 percent of the order
value for processing the paper work as a brokerage fee. You can avoid
these charges by having the shipper mark the shipping label to show that
the customer will process customs themselves. Another relevant thing
here is that there are customs codes that allow vintage car parts to be
processed duty free these where brought in with the first free trade
agreement, but also seem to apply to any car parts for a car over 25
years old no matter where they are shipped from. For the Canadians on
the list have the shipper write PARTS FOR CAR OVER 25 YEARS OLD on the
customs form and state TARIFF CODE 2441, the US must have a similar
system for handling customs. In general I refuse to have things shipped
UPS because of their fees and their brokerage system seems to slow
things down to the point that its faster to use the mail system. I'll
step off my soap box now.

Doug Hamilton
60 TR3A