Re: another question for the suspension gurus

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: another question for the suspension gurus
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:33:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I just went through a bout of lowering Tiny Tim and I can safely say that if
you change the springs, be prepared to change everything else.

TT is rather unique so what I ended up doing won't necessarily work for
everybody.

I started out with a GT6 Rotoflex frame complete with the GT6 brakes and put a
Mk1 Spit body on it.
The rear was dearched by 1.5" and on a flat autocross course there is no
problem with diff clearance. (Getting an exhaust system under it is a
completely different matter).

On the front, I used Stock GT6 springs with one coil cut off.  SInce the engine
is a 1300 small journal, it required some additional cutting (another
coil) to get it to settle where I wanted it.  It is considerably stiffer than
it was at the stock length and that is a good thing.

But cutting the last coil off changed the whole suspension geometry and
required another alignment.  For autocross, I am using 1.5 degrees of negative
camber and 1/16" of toe out.  Using the rotoflex rear suspension, the car
performs better with the stock 5/16" front sway bar than it does with a late
Spit 7/8" one.

Additional tweaking was done in the form of adjusting the shock rates of the
SPAX shocks and the tire pressures.

Be prepared to have clearance problems when lowering the car for street use.
Be very careful where you drive.  Even those "Dead Armadillos" or
"Silent Policemen" as they are sometimes called can cause something to drag.
And then there is the problem of how to trailer a lowered car.  The best
way is find a place to park the trailer where you have the trailer setting
lower than the surface and just drive the car straight on instead of up a
ramp.

Cheers,
Joe