Early TR4 electric question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early TR4 electric question
From: "Gary Allgood" <leyte@lvs.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:15:42 -0500
For those who may be able to help, please read on...

On my TR4 CT3795LO on the driver side inner fender, there is bolted a white
ballist resistor (or so my brother the mechanic call it). It reminds me of the
items we used to discharge batteries on remote control race cars a few years
back. It is approx 3 inches long and 1/2 inch square, made of a porcelin type
of material and has a spring with a porcelin bar running through the center of
the spring. This porceline bar is broken in two.... Any idea what voltage is
going in and going out??

It plugs between the coil and distributor as I recall (the car is 2 hours
away, I can't verify this till this weekend). The question is, was this
something a PO added for some reason? Or is it a replacement for a different
type that I have not found in the parts books yet? Is it replacing a voltage
regulator like the one I found in the TR4 Vicky Brit book TC.39, page 121 PN
2-900?

The good news is once this issue is resolved, and we get the linkage back on
the carbs this puppy is on the road! Oh Yeah!

Thanks all,

Gary

Gary Allgood
62 TR4 CT/3795-LO