Now WHAT is it?

To: "triumph25pi" <triumph25pi@yahoogroups.com>, "triumph_herald" <triumph_herald@egroups.com>, "triumph_cars" <triumph_cars@egroups.com>, "triumph_2000" <triumph_2000@egroups.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "2000- Register" <2000-Register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Now WHAT is it?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:26:34 +0100
At the outset, this post will probably be of zero interest to the
sports car fraternity but maybe someone somewhere has useful info.
The Triumph 2500S Estate (Wagon) finished production in May 1977,
chassis MP 10253 and this particular car is owned by BMIHT.
Innsbruck cognoscenti (definitely) and other Triumph saloon
enthusiasts will agree that demand for the Estate car throughout its
life always far outstripped supply, so the possibility of finding a
new one languishing in a dealer showroom was remote to say the least.
I have discovered a car purporting to be a 2500S Estate (it has all
the badging etc) but has the following peculiarities:
Chassis No: MP 17414 SCO - repeat 17414. It looks an entirely original
commission plate (and I've read a few thousand of them in my time!)
Engine No: There isn't one - there has never been one and a former
number has not been ground off, neither does it appear to be a recon
engine
First licence date: On an X plate which I think puts it in the 1981/82
registration year? It's not a cherished number and I'm assured by the
deceased PO's daughter that it's always had this number.
BMIHT confirms this commission number never existed - which is hardly
a surprise.
All I can think of is that just possibly this car may have been a
genuine Triumph 'ringer' and might have been a test car for the Rover
SD1 2300 or 2600 six pot unit. I have first refusal to acquire the car
from the deceased owner's lawyers.
Anyone like to offer some speculative solutions?
BTW, the PO was once a UK Triumph dealer principal - so maybe this is
a useful pointer that could uncover an interesting can of worms - of
which certain parts of the body already has some in residence.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Loving thy neighbour" is fine - until you get caught