Re: Reuse fuel sender?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reuse fuel sender?
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:10:00 -0400
> The fuel sender I pulled out works fine, and appears to be the original
> Smith's unit. I notice that the float contains a small amount of fuel,
> maybe 5-10% of the float's volume.

That's what I found on pulling the float from my '73 GT6, only if anything
there was more gas in it... and no pinhole leaks.  Somehow over the years,
fuel just migrates through the plastic.

> with fuel and stopped working. OTOH, I'd hate to buy a new,
> inferior-quality replacement and have the same thing happen anyway. What
> would you do?

I'd email John Rossi (JRossi727@aol.com) and buy a snap-in replacement (Jaguar
part, he says).  The one he sold me was precisely identical to the original
(except it wasn't half full of gas).

> BTW, for sealing the plug in the bottom and the fuel line nut, is "hylomar"
> the best gas-proof sealant?

You shouldn't need a sealant.  Something's wrong.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,