Wing Nuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wing Nuts
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 14:07:35 -0400
Not that I'm anywhere near ready to actually DO this, mind you, when I bolt
up the wings on my TR, I plan to re-use the existing cage nuts. Perhaps new
bolts, but the nuts are likely going to stay right where they are. Couple of
questions...

1) Are stainless bolts, suitable for this application, available? I assume
there's a good reason why the ends of these are pointed, but could I use a
regular hardware store item if stainless is not available with the pointed
end?

2) Will Copaslip keep the new bolts and original nuts from rusting or will I
have to replace the nuts with stainless as well in order to accomplish that
feat? If so, would it also work if I opt for plated rather than stainless
bolts?

Actually, my biggest problem on disassembly was that, while the bolts were
stuck in the nuts, they weren't THAT stuck...it was just that the cages
themselves were too easily bent out of shape and the nut would spin. Once I
cut the bolt heads off and removed the wings, I was able to clamp vice grips
on the cages to hold the nuts sufficiently so that I could back out what was
left of the bolts using another pair of vice grips. Not too excited about
doing that again if I ever have to remove wings in the future, so I'm
looking for the best way to avoid the problem.

As always, thanks for the sage advice!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O