Wing Nuts

To: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wing Nuts
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 09:39:09 -0400
Michael,
Try Apple Valley Stainless Fasteners, 13 Kirsi Circle, Westford MA 01886.
The phone number says 8/692-2421 - you're on your own there. I got a bag of
100 stainless 1/4-28 by whatever length they are (not pointed) for about
$16 if I remember right.
As for cages, I had the same experience. I ordered some from Moss I think
but they seem flimsy, so I am making new ones from 20 gauge sheet metal I
have left over from making new floors. I make them a little bit longer than
usual in expectation of poor re-assembly - the nut can travel back and
forth a bit more - but no wider, and weld the corners together so the sides
can't spread. This sounds like lots of work for these stupid little cages
but it's actually quite fast and rewarding.
I have looked in every corner of the universe for stainless nuts - but the
universe must be round. I am sure they do not exist. So I got some plated
ones in from Moss or VB, and they are smaller than the original. I'm going
to use the originals where I can, and make the cages a bit smaller for the
new ones, and use lots of Anti-seize, and hope for the best. I see Randall
has had good success.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Jim
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
Michael Ferguson wrote:
Not that I'm anywhere near ready to actually DO this, mind you, when I bolt
up the wings on my TR, I plan to re-use the existing cage nuts. Perhaps new
bolts, but the nuts are likely going to stay right where they are. Couple
of questions...
1) Are stainless bolts, suitable for this application, available? I assume
there's a good reason why the ends of these are pointed, but could I use a
regular hardware store item if stainless is not available with the pointed
end?
2) Will Copaslip keep the new bolts and original nuts from rusting...?
Actually, my biggest problem on disassembly was...just that the cages
themselves were too easily bent out of shape and the nut would spin.....
looking for the best way to avoid the problem....