Re: Got it home

To: "jack williams" <jackandangie@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Got it home
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 12:01:25 -0400
 > When I got home I went to take my wife for a ride and it bagan making a
> popping noise from the rear whenever I shifted gears. I thought perhaps a
> u-joint, but it is not constant, only when I release the clutch on
shifting.
> I'm new to this so any ideas on where to look would be appreciated.

Could be bad u-joints, on the half shafts or prop shaft (if you're lucky) --
if you're less lucky, it might be the dreaded cracked diff mount.  To verify
the latter, you need to get the car up in the air and use a mirror on a
stick to see the diff mounting plate.  Hairline (or larger) cracks must be
remedied.

> Also, this is more just an annoyance, how do I reset the trip odometer? I
> can't find any buttons knobs or anything to do so.

Should be one under the dash near the steering column.

> Last but not least, the guages have a bit of moisture in them, how can I
get
> them dried out?

 Wait until drier weather.  Or pull the gaugues, twist off the bezel, clean
the glass, and install new seals.

Enjoy your new beast.

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

"She's got a carburetor tied to the moon."