Fuel Pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Pump
From: "Hassan, Erkan" <ehassan@visicu.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:05:03 -0400
Last week while driving errands in my 62 TR3-B, the engine died about 1 mile
from home.  I checked the floats and they were bone dry.  My initial thought
was a piece of dirt or something clogged the fuel line.  Yesterday I checked
the entire fuel line and it was OK from the gas tank to the sediment bowl.
The sediment bowl would fill up (and once started overflowwing), but still
no gas to the carbs.

I started to dismantel the fuel pump.  The top, diaphragm and spring are
out.  I fiddled with the bar the diaphragm hooks onto.  Initially the bar
could be pulled up to the top of the housing and stay there.  Suddenly, it
seemed to slip where now it just lays in the bottom of the housing.  I tried
to take the housing off, but could not get to the rear nut to remove the
pump.

I would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the list here.

Is it the fuel pump causing the problem?
Is the bar that holds the diaphragm suppose to stay near the top of the
housing or not?  It is extremely difficult to re-hook-up the diaphragm with
the connector down on the bottom of the housing (I gave up last night).
If I have to replace the fuel pump, how do I get that rear nut off?

Any advise from the list would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Erkan Hassan
TCF 536
62 TR3-B
Baltimore, MD
Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended for
the sole use of the individual(s) or entity named in the message header.  If
dissemination, copying or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in
error, please notify the sender of the error and delete this message and any
attachments.