How to keep TR4A engine turning?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to keep TR4A engine turning?
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 23:16:42 EDT
After reading about Kevin O'Driscoll's dilemma with his strong running engine
with good compression in all four cylinders freezing up after sitting for
three years, I decided to try to turn my TR4a engine over. With the spark
plugs in, I grabed the fan and tried to turn the engine. It turned over
without much effort. I could feel the compression trying to hold the engine
back. This is very good. Now am I going to score the cylinders by doing this?

My car has been sitting for over four years without running. I was told that
the engine ran strong the last time it ran. I have no idea what was done to
store the engine for it's long hibernation. I do know that all the water was
drained (since the radiator hoses are off) and the oil in the sump looks like
new. Since someone on the list said that good running TR engines are known
for sizing up after sitting for some time, I would like to turn mine over
every so often. Can I just turn it or do I need to put oil down the spark
plug hole? Maybe a spray? I hope to be able to restore the car without
rebuilding the engine at this time.

Thanks,
Peter Schoppelry,
63 TR4 w/ 4A engine