Crane Cams ignition wires

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crane Cams ignition wires
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:04:45 -0700
Just to return to LBC topics ... I bought a pair of the Crane Cams' TR7
wire sets that were on sale.  Just opened the box a few minutes ago.

I was under the impression that these were supposed to be their
'FireWire', with a helically wound conductor on a Kevlar core.  The box
has a sectioned view of the helical wire (although curiously enough it
calls it stainless steel, while the web site says it's copper-nickel),
and the wire itself has 'SILICONE SPIRAL CORE' printed on it (gold
letters on black wire, very pretty).

However, a brief examination of the wire ends (where they're crimped
into the connectors) seems to show that these are ordinary "carbon core"
wires !  The wires also all exhibit a DC resistance of around 3.5 to 4.0
Kohm, also indicating they are resistance wires.

I called Crane's customer service dept a few minutes ago, they "don't
know anything about the construction of the wires".  Offered to transfer
me to a technician to discuss my concern, but what I got was a recording
saying they were closed for the day (at 1:50 CA time).

Oh, and the bag of wires has a different part number than the one on the
box.

Has anyone else had any similar issues ?

Before I send them back, anyone want some ordinary wires for their TR7 ?

Randall